Border Crossing


Crossing the Border

Proper Identification for Border Crossing


  • If flying into Vancouver, everyone in your group must have a passport. 
  • If crossing the Canadian border by ground, anyone 19 and older must have a passport, or other machine readable/scannable ID such as an enhanced driver’s license, passport card, or Nexus pass. The best option is always a passport. Please double check to make sure your passport or acceptable ID is current and expires at the very least 6 months after the date of your trip. Processing times can vary but plan for at least 90 days.
  • For participants 18 and under, an original or copy of a birth certificate, a government issued picture ID, and a Border Crossings Consent Letter will suffice in place of a passport.
  • Border Crossing Consent Letter- Only applies to those 18 and under traveling from outside of Canada. It must be signed by a parent or guardian, as it gives the designated trip leader permission to travel with the minor.

     Crossing the Border



  • If driving, border waits vary a great deal from day to day and week to week. If you are trying to cross the border Friday night for a Saturday trip departure, plan to wait one to two hours or more for a holiday weekend.  If you wait and leave Saturday morning, the wait will probably be more like 15 minutes– at 5am.​


      What to Expect:


  • Only one person from the vehicle should speak to the border officers.
  • It is highly suggested that you have all IDs and consent forms well organized and available in a binder or a bin.
  • Please use the terminology "chaperones" and not "leaders."
  • Please treat your Border Services Agent with respect. No jokes or funny business.  
Contact Us

Beyond Malibu
PO Box 15662
Seattle, WA, 98115-0662

CALL US: (206) 525-0791
FAX: (206) 525-1207

Additional Links
©2004-2021 Young Life. All rights reserved. |Privacy Policy | Sign In
Connect With Us: